Dear FLT Families,
We’re excited to announce that our school community will be participating in the
OPEN National Field Day event on Friday, May 8th!
Field Day is an important tradition at our school. It is a significant day for our students and our staff, and we feel that in these incredibly challenging times this national event is a unique way that we can stay connected as a community and support one another in a fun and meaningful way.
OPEN (Online Physical Education Network) is a national public service organization that provides curriculum and training support to more than 90,000 teachers in all 50 states. We will be using their resources and social media network to help us organize our school’s participation in #NationalFieldDay.
All #NationalFieldDay events are designed to be done indoors or outdoors using common household items. You won’t be asked to purchase any specialized equipment or supplies.
Here’s how it will work:
● Our school is now registered as a participant in this event. Families can choose to register as well, but it’s not a requirement.
● The event website is www.openphysed.org/nationalfieldday
● Your family will be asked to choose a minimum of 4 events to complete on Field Day. However, you may complete as many events as you’d like to.
● From May 3 thru 7, we will follow #NationalFieldDay and watch the Field Day Torch travel across the country in preparation for the main event.
● On May 8, our entire school will participate in events, complete an official score card, and share photos and videos to social media and the Google Classroom assignment (or sent directly to your teacher). Be sure to tag our school and use #NationalFieldDay on your social media posts
● After the event, your student will also submit their scorecard via Google Classroom to their homeroom teacher.
● Every student that completes at least 4 events will receive an OPEN National Field Day certificate.
We will continue to send you weekly updates on this fun and festive event. We appreciate your cooperation and are hopeful that your entire family will use it as a fun and meaningful way to be physically active together and with our entire school community.
The Furman Staff